Welcome to Hasty Elementary School
This site is representative of our school, its personality and what we have to offer to the students. It also contains information for parents, students and the community.
Please visit our site often because we enjoy showing off our achievements and activities.
At HES we have built a community within our school where teachers, students, parents and administration work together to provide an educational setting that is conducive to good learning and understanding. In addition to all the excellent teaching and learning that takes place in our school, we have also become a Fine Arts Academy School and we are working on developing a curriculum that integrates the arts into our academic curriculum to bring creativity, innovation, and arts integration into the classroom across all content areas. These strategies promote 21st century skills, critical and creative thinking, student achievement, and academic growth.
Our Core Beliefs
* We believe that all children have the right to a sound education. It is the mission of the Hasty Elementary School community to provide children with materials and experiences essential for learning and for growth as citizens of democracy.
* We believe that students learn best in an atmosphere that is comfortable and secure, yet stimulating and rich in opportunities.
* We recognize the student as a unique individual, living, working and communicating in a school environment and in a complex society.
* We believe that teachers must be professionals with highly trained understanding of the needs, interests and potential of young people.
* We believe that teachers model attitudes and values that children will find useful in their work and family life.
* We believe that teachers must share with students both tried and innovative curricula and develop skills needed by responsible and fulfilled individuals
On behalf of HES staff and myself, we would like to welcome you to an exciting 2016-2017 school year!!!
Enjoy our website and feel free to contact me with any concerns or questions. My door is always opened and remember that Hasty Elementary School’s number one interest is the children.
The History of Hasty Elementary Fine Arts Academy
Growth in Cherokee County over the past 15 years has been tremendous. The city of Canton is no exception. In 1990 the city’s population was 4,853 and in 2000 it was up to 7,780. This was an increase of 60% with no signs of slowing. In a county that originally was proud of small community schools, the trend has been to build larger schools to make education economically feasible. William G. Hasty Sr. Elementary School is the first of these large schools to be built in the city limits of Canton. Originally intended to house 1,200 students it contains 65 regular-size classrooms, 2 music rooms, 2 art rooms, 2 computer labs, a 6,171 square-foot media center, a 7,325 square-foot cafetorium (cafeteria and auditorium combined), and the list could continue. It is a beautiful “state of the art” facility with every advantage being thought of and built-in from the beginning.
Before Hasty Elementary opened its doors on August 1, 2005, the two primary elementary schools educating students living in the city limits were Canton and Tippens. Both schools were community institutions in their own right and had deep roots in the culture and history of Canton. Canton Elementary had a population of approximately 620 students and Tippens had approximately 280 students. In the spring of 2005, the decision was made by the Board of Education to combine the two elementary schools to form the base for Hasty Elementary. Students from two new large developments were also included in the Hasty boundaries allowing Hasty to open its doors with an enrollment of 1,150 students. Since opening, the population has burgeoned to over 1,450 students with several mobile units being added to accommodate all 2nd and 4th grade students.
Hasty’s overcrowding was relieved in 2008 with the addition of two new elementary schools in the Canton area. Hasty Elementary currently serves approximately almost 900 students aged Pre-K thru fifth grade. Hasty also has the distinction of serving as a Fine Arts Academy.