THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
GEORGIA RETIRED EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION –
CHEROKEE RETIRED EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION
This agreement entered into on this 17th day of October, 2013 by and between
The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School
Georgia Retired Educators Association – Cherokee Retired Educators Association
hereinafter referred to as “GREA” and “CREA.”
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to enable all students to become
contributing citizens who can communicate effectively, gather and use information, make
responsible decisions, utilize technology effectively, and adapt to the challenges of the
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase
parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices
that treat parents, businesses, community-based organizations and agencies, local
institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational
WHEREAS, the mission of GREA is to unite retired educators in Georgia for
fellowship, support and educational/community service, and to improve benefits for all
retired educators through cooperation with Local, State and National organizations; and,
WHEREAS, the purposes of CREA are:
To provide an organized basis for continuing interest and efforts;
To present meaningful programs;
To encourage continued fellowship;
To support beneficial legislations; and,
To recognize current contributions.
WHEREAS, CREA wishes to support the Cherokee County School District, both
students and educators, by providing volunteers, recognition and support for teaching and
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein
the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated
herein by reference:
The School Board will:
1. Distribute information to retirees regarding GREA and CREA.
2. Maintain a CREA web page on the School District website with a link to the
3. Promote GREA- and CREA-sponsored activities and programs through existing
communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy, including the
posting of notices on the online Virtual Community Bulletin Board.
4. Issue an annual proclamation recognizing Retired Educators Day.
5. Allow the use of School District facilities for six yearly CREA meetings, as
6. Allow the use of a School District copier for CREA materials, with CREA to
provide the paper.
7. Allow the use of a bookcase in the School District Historic Classroom at Building
C for an archive of CREA historic records, which would be made available for
8. Explore professional development opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
9. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
1. Provide volunteers for the School District including, but not limited to: classroom,
media center and clerical assistants; event judges; proctors; tutors and mentors;
in-service professional development leaders; and guest readers.
2. Provide an annual scholarship for one Cherokee County School District
graduate(s) attending Reinhardt University to study in the field of education.
3. Abide by the rules and regulations contained in the Community Use of System
Facilities Policy (KG), including custodial and supervisory fees when applicable.
4. Explore professional development opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
5. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
6. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs
without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or
handicapping condition. Children/participants with handicaps or any other
discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law must be
provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the
activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement,
CREA must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The term of this contract is October 17, 2013 through October 17, 2014. This
contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless
either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written
notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to
the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at 110 Academy Street, Canton, GA
30114; and to CREA, P.O. Box 769, Canton, GA 30169.