THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
CHEROKEE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
This agreement entered into on this 9th day of February, 2012, by and between
The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board,”
The Cherokee County Historical Society, hereinafter referred to as “CCHS,”
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to enable all students to become contributing
citizens who can communicate effectively, gather and use information, make responsible
decisions, utilize technology effectively and adapt to the challenges of the future; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental
and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents,
businesses, community–based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning
and other public entities as true partners in the educational process; and,
WHEREAS, the CCHS’ mission is dedicated to historic preservation and education; and,
WHEREAS, the CCHS desires to enhance and expand efforts to achieve its mission of
preserving and educating by acting as a community partner with the School Board.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the
parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein
The School Board will:
1. Disseminate CCHS information/student opportunities through existing communication
channels, as permitted by School Board policy. Permit use of school mail for two mailings:
one in May and one in August.
2. Communicate with CCHS relative to future construction/renovation projects.
3. Facilitate implementation of educational programs to promote local history (using CCHS
books, brochures, videos and publications, as provided).
4. Promote field trip opportunities for history students/classes throughout the County (Crescent
Farm Rock Barn, Cherokee County History Museum).
5. Will encourage faculty and students to use the CCHS’s Web site website located at
6. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
7. Permit the use of a school classroom location for a teacher PLU course in June 2012 at no
charge to CCHS.
1. Provide the School Board with the opportunity to use the Exhibition Center and
Conference/Special Events Facility at the Crescent Farm Rock Barn.
2. Provide presentations relative to local history to schools at the appropriate grade level via
speakers at schools’ requests.
3. Provide the opportunity for field trips to CCHS locales. Students in Grades 3 through 5
will be permitted to tour the Cherokee County History Museum at no charge; planned
educational tours and accompanying Instructional Guides will be offered from September
10, 2012 through the last field trips scheduled during the 2012-13 School Year.
4. Provide historical curriculum materials to the school system for dissemination to each of
the appropriate grade levels including a teacher instructional guide for Cherokee County
History Museum instruction.
5. Provide judges for the School System Science Fair, Young Authors Fair, Governors
Honors, Speech Contests and other related functions.
6. Provide internship opportunities for students interested in historical issues.
7. Communicate with the School Systems’ Office of Support Services and
Facilities/Construction Management and Department of Planning and Forecasting relative
to future projects.
8. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
9. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without
regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping
condition. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of
supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a
result of this partnership agreement, CCHS must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws
The term of this contract is February 9, 2012 through February 8, 2013. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to
exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the
other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent
of Cherokee County Schools at 110 Academy Street, Canton, GA 30114 and to Stefanie Joyner,
Cherokee County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1287, Canton, GA, 30114.