THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION
This agreement entered into on this 13th day of August, 2015 by and between The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board”
American Heart Association.
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to enable all students to become contributing citizens who can communicate effectively, gather and use information, make responsible decisions, utilize technology effectively, and adapt to the challenges of the future, and
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents, businesses, community-based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational process, and
WHEREAS, the American Heart Association’s mission is to build healthier lives free of cardiovascular disease and stroke. The American Heart Association’s impact goal is to reduce coronary heart disease, stroke and risk and
WHEREAS, the American Heart Association recognizes that cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in the nation, 9 million children are overweight and 23% get no exercise, and some experts predict that for the first time in history, because of inactivity and obesity-related illnesses, children’s lifespans will be shorter than their parents’, and
WHEREAS, Cherokee County schools participated in American Heart Association programs during the past several school years, a program that helps the American Heart Association achieve its mission by providing funds for life-saving research and educating school children about the importance of living a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle, and
WHEREAS, the Jump Rope for Heart Program and Hoops for Heart programs give students an opportunity to safely serve their community, build school spirit, participate in a cooperative team effort, learn how to live a heart healthy lifestyle, and practice their jump rope and basketball skills.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference
The School Board will:
1. Encourage all Cherokee County elementary schools to participate in Jump Rope for Heart or Hoops for Heart.
2. Encourage all Cherokee County middle schools to participate in the Hoops for Heart Program or Jump Rope for Heart program.
3. Provide a school coordinator at each interested school site to work in conjunction with American Heart Association Youth Market Director to implement aforementioned programs.
4. The Coordinator’s role will include promoting the program, showing the promotional video, including jump rope skills in the physical education curriculum several weeks before the event, distributing letters and permission slips to parents and collection envelopes to students four weeks prior to the event, promoting the benefits of regular physical activity, setting achievable goals,
enlisting volunteers and coordinating the event in conjunction with American Heart Association Youth Market Director.
5. Encourage all employees to participate in the Heart Walk.
American Heart Association will:
1. Conduct an informational session with each principal and physical education staff of each interested school prior to and after the use of the program.
2. Sponsor the October Principal’s Meeting breakfast and provide program information to the Principals and other staff in attendance.
3. Abide by the rules and regulations contained in the School Board’s SOLICITATION BY STUDENTS Policy (JKB/KEBB), that prohibits students in grades eight or lower from participating in door-to-door sales.
4. Deliver education kits and other selected educational items such as posters, skills videos, jump ropes and basketballs (subject to change) to the participating school sites.
5. Provide an in-service and year-round assistance to coordinators, teachers and administrators on how to incorporate all areas of the curriculum to make the program a school-wide event.
6. Provide selected sample prizes to be displayed several weeks before the event and promotional items such as posters and envelopes to utilize in the classroom.
7. Provide all materials and earned thank-you gifts to ensure a successful event.
8. Provide Youth Market Director to assist with any questions or concerns.
9. Provide certificates of appreciation to all participating schools as well as banners to display in the school gymnasium. Provide feedback and recognition to district office and local media when possible.
10. Offer contracted courses and training to employees as requested and approved by appropriate CCSD personnel to ensure that existing employees can upgrade their skills, maintain or add industry certification requirements, develop leadership and management skills, or improve safety systems.
11. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or disability or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, American Heart Association must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The term of this contract is August 13, 2015 through August 13, 2016. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at 110 Academy Street, Canton, Georgia 30114, and to the American Heart Association Youth Market Director, 1101 Northchase Parkway, Suite 1, Marietta, GA 30067.