THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS AND REGISTRATION
This agreement entered into on this 10th day of November, 2011 by and between The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School
The Cherokee County Board of Elections and Registration, hereinafter referred to
as “Board of Elections.”
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to enable all students to become contributing citizens who can communicate effectively, gather and use information, make
responsible decisions and adapt to the challenges of the future, and
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices
that treat parents, businesses, community-based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational
WHEREAS, Georgia Official Code 21-2-215; Section (g) states, “(g) Each principal or assistant principal of every public or private high school, the president of
every public or private college or university, the president of each state supported
technical institute in this state, and the designee of such principal, assistant principal,
college or university president, or state supported technical institute president shall be a
deputy registrar of the county in which the school, college, university, or institute is
located for the purpose of receiving voter registration applications from those qualified
applicants who are enrolled students within the principal’s school or the president’s
college, university, or institute or who are employed by the private high school, the
school system, the college or university, or the state supported technical institute
notwithstanding the fact that such students or employees are not residents of the county in
which the school, college, university, or institute is located. Such principals, assistant
principals, presidents, and their designees shall inform their students and employees of
the availability of such voter registration and shall provide reasonable and convenient
procedures to enable such persons who are qualified applicants to register. The principal
of each public or private high school, the president of each public or private college or
university, and the president of each state supported technical institute are authorized to
invite other deputy registrars to the school, college, university, or institute for the purpose
of conducting voter registration.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference:
The School Board:
1. Pursuant to Georgia Official Code 21-2-215; Section (g), will conduct bi-annual student voter registration drives at each of the high schools in the County.
2. In conjunction with the Character Education Program, will disseminate field trip opportunities relative to civics and the electoral process.
3. Office of Educational Programs, Student Support and Professional Development will pursue the opportunity for Video Production classes to collaborate with
Board of Elections officials relative to producing a training program for poll managers and/or a voter awareness video.
4. Office of School Operations will continue to facilitate use of school sites as polling sites on election days (currently 19 16 sites are being utilized).
5. Promote Board of Election programs/announcements through existing communication channels.
Board of Elections will:
1. Provide the School Board with voter registration materials upon request.
2. Assist with educational programs relative to the School Board’s Character Education Program, such as mock elections.
3. Provide field trip opportunities to the Board of Elections Office, as well as guest speaker appearances upon request where no conflict exists with prior committed dates.
4. Abide by the rules and regulations contained in O.C.G.A. Title 21, Chapters 1 and 2 generally, and Sections 266 and 268 specifically, and the facility use contract at
each facility and those contained in the Community Use of Systems Facilities Policy (KG), including custodial and supervisory fees when applicable and where
no conflict exists with the Georgia Election Code or the rules of the State Election Board.
5. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs
without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or
handicapping condition. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided
all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of
the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, the Board
of Elections must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The term of this contract is November 10, 2011 through November 9, 2012. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60
days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon one hundred twenty (120)
days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract
shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at 110 Academy Street,
Canton, Georgia 30114, and to the Supervisor, Board of Elections and Registration, 400
East Main Street, Suite A, Canton, Georgia 30114.
Tom Roach, Esquire