THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
THE CHEROKEE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER
This agreement entered into on this 19th day of April, 2012 by and between The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as “School Board.”
The Cherokee County Animal Shelter, hereinafter referred to as “CCAS.”
WHEREAS, the missions of CCBOE and CCAS both strive to educate and enable Cherokee County students to become responsible and contributing citizens; and,
WHEREAS, humane education is a vital part of the assurance that animals are treated with respect and that the overpopulation of companion animals is looked at by citizens who can reason, communicate effectively, as well as gather and summarize information; and,
WHEREAS, CCAS values the future of the community for students, citizens and the human /animal bond, a cooperative partnership would be a valuable asset to both CCAS and the School Board; and,
WHEREAS, CCAS and the School Board both place great importance on the need for technological and scientific advancement to better the lives of humans and animals; and,
WHEREAS, CCAS agrees to support the School Board in promoting student achievements in all subjects including math, science and technology.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
1. Serve on School District committees and advisory panels that relate to cooperative goals.
2. Provide Tours for student groups at the Cherokee County Animal Shelter and humane education material and speeches as requested by the School District.
3. Allow for School District full-time employees and School Board Members to receive a $10 reduction of the adoption fee for animals adopted from CCAS.
4. Provide volunteer, educational and/or internship opportunities for students who are at least 17 years of age.
5. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ interests.
6. Provide volunteers to judge/participate in various School District academic competitions.
7. Provide staff members and/or volunteers to coordinate Homeless Pet Clubs for interested schools to educate students about pets, pet care and careers related to pet care and offer students volunteer opportunities to aid CCAS in finding permanent homes for homeless pets.
8. Participate in various school functions (career days, vocational week, Read Across America) when staff members and/or volunteers are available.
9. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping condition. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, CCAS must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The School Board will:
1. Allow CCAS to be a recipient of student supply drives and fundraisers as approved by school principals.
2. Promote humane education and encourage students to educate themselves in the proper care of companion animals.
3. Include a category in Invention Convention competitions revolving around the companion animal overpopulation problem in Cherokee County and nationwide.
4. Encourage essay assignments in all grade levels on subjects including overpopulation, animal cruelty (when age appropriate) and companion animal overpopulation.
5. Promote CCAS programs and events through existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy.
6. Encourage the formation of a Homeless Pets Club at each school.
The term of this agreement is from April 19, 2012 through April 19, 2013 and may be terminated by either party upon 30 days notice with or without cause. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at 110 Academy Street, Canton, GA 30114 and the Director, Cherokee Animal Shelter at 131 Chattin Drive, Canton, GA, 30114.