THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
This Agreement is made and entered into this 19th day of October, 2017, by and between the Cherokee County School District and Brenau University.
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents, businesses, community-based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational process; and,
WHEREAS, the primary purpose of this Agreement is to provide the sequence of Cohort Program courses, which will enhance the ability of Cherokee County Teachers to facilitate learning and qualify for a Master’s in Education and Education Specialist in early childhood education and middle grades education.
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the following mutual promises, covenants, and considerations, it is agreed as follows:
Brenau University shall provide to do or cause to be done the following:
1. Provide courses in Cherokee County in School District facilities for the duration of the partnership for the purpose of providing opportunities for School District staff to pursue Master’s in Education and Educational Specialist’s Degrees that are in accordance with all university, School District and accrediting requirements and guidelines.
2. Provide instructional personnel.
3. Be responsible for enrolling participants in the courses.
4. Agree to hold harmless and indemnify the School Board against any claims, demands, losses, or damages including reasonable attorney’s fees, which may arise as a result of this contract.
5. Ensure that program participants/students and professors adhere to the Cherokee County School District policies and guidelines relative to research and data collection that are available at District Web site under Principal’s Handbook.
6. Provide scholarship opportunities to appropriate Cherokee County School District employees who are enrolled in the cohort program.
7. Provide internship opportunities for Cherokee County School District students as it relates to the Career Pathways initiative.
The Cherokee County School System shall provide to do or cause to be done the following:
1. Provide the use school system facilities, waiving the rental fee as per the Community Use of System Facilities Policy (KG), for professional development opportunities as coordinated by Brenau University.
2. Provide the facilities and equipment for instruction, at no charge (except for a utility fee) and assume responsibility for maintenance of the facilities and equipment.
3. Approve degree offerings and allow for semi-annual recruitment plans for these purposes.
4. Dissemination of Brenau University information through existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy.
The Cherokee County School System and Brenau University will be mutually responsible for the following:
1. Establishment of communication during the term of the Agreement to insure the objectives of the planned courses are being met.
2. Neither party will discriminate against any Cherokee County School System or Brenau University employee or applicant for employment, or against any applicant for enrollment for a course of study at the University, or against any University student in his or her course study or training under this Agreement solely on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, national origin, age, or handicap disability or other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be offered to disabled individuals as required by law.
1. The term of this contract is October 19, 2017 through October 19, 2018. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
2. This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at PO Box 769, Canton, GA 30114, and the President of Brenau University at 500 Washington Street SE, Gainesville, GA 30501.
3. This Agreement may be modified at any time by mutual consent of the governing bodies of the parties thereto. Any modifications hereto shall be in writing and signed by both parties.
4. Both parties, by signatures executing the Agreement, certify that they are in compliance with the United States Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989.