Council Meeting Notes
2016-17 Meeting Minutes will be posted after each School Council meeting.
Minutes- School Council 8-24-16
Purpose of the School Council
The General Assembly of Georgia created councils to “bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult education problems, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators, and bring parents into the school-based decision-making process.”
School Councils shall provide advice, recommendations, and assistance and represent the community of parents and business.
- Members of the School Council will serve for a term of two years.
- The council will have a minimum of seven members.
- A parent member must serve as the chair.
School Council Accountability & Scope
The council is accountable to the constituents they serve and shall:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues
- Participate in council meetings
- Participate in information and training programs
- Act as a link between the school council and the community
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community
- Work to improve student achievement
- Provide advice and recommendations to the school principal and local board of education
All meetings are held in the Front Office at 7:30 a.m.
2016-17 School Council Members
Mark Merges, Principal
Linda Heinz, Principal’s Secretary
Tabitha Wilkie, Chair
Jane Knauff, Vice-Chair
Jamie Bobo, Parent
Mike McGowan, Parent
Jim Nicholson, Parent
Amy Upchurch, Parent
Tim West, Parent
Steve Payne, Teacher
Anne Theirs, Teacher
Jenny Brooks, Business Partner
Jim, Maher, Business Partner