CCSD Names 2016-17 Student Advisor, Student Delegates to School Board
Category : CCSD
The Cherokee County School District has named the 2016-17 Student Advisor and Student Delegates to the School Board.
The School Board has included a Student Advisor position on its board since 1999, and for the past six years, a Student Delegate from each high school also has been selected. These students serve for one year to give input and feedback to the School Board; the advisor role is rotated among the county’s high schools.
This year’s Student Advisor is Joseph Henderson of ACE Academy. The Student Delegates are: of Cherokee High School, Julia Kochansky; of Creekview High School, Parker Quarles; of Etowah High School, Meghan Hines; of River Ridge High School, Jordan Mason; of Sequoyah High School, Isabelle Riddle; and of Woodstock High School, Kayla Brader.
The students will begin their service at the School Board meeting on August 11.
Students selected to serve as Student Advisor or Student Delegates share common traits: they excel in the classroom, often ranking in the top 10 percent of their class and earning titles like valedictorian; they are involved in their school, often participating in numerous clubs, sports and organizations; and they seek out opportunities to serve and lead.
ACE Academy, Joseph Henderson
- Recipient of: Algebra Excellence Award
- Member of: ACE Academy Student Council, Boy Scouts of America – Troop 241 (Life Scout, Order of the Arrow) and Flag Honor Guard
- Volunteers for: Special Olympics, Etowah River Clean-Up Project, Georgia National Cemetery (flag and wreath placements)
Cherokee HS, Julia Kochansky
- Recipient of: Superintendent’s Key Scholar Award, Honor Roll, Georgia Scholar, Optimist Club Essay Contest – First Place, National Latin Exam – Gold (Latin I, II, and III), Spirit of Learning Award, Academic Excellence Certificate, Academic Letter, Lamp of Knowledge, Georgia Certificate of Merit, Governor’s Honors Program Nominee, Student of the Month, National AP Scholar, AP Scholar with Distinction, GHSA State Literary Competition Essay Writing – First Place Divisional, Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership Conference and Leadership 56, Mock Trial Lawyer Award, Daughters of the American Revolution Youth Citizenship Award
- Member of: National Honor Society, Alpha Gamma, Beta Club, Mock Trial, Leadership 56 (Sophomore and Junior Year)
- Volunteers for: Fernbank Museum Future Urban Naturalist Program
Creekview HS, Parker Quarles
- Recipient of: Academic Letter, Scholar Athlete, Superintendent’s Key Scholar Award, UGA Certificate of Merit, AP Scholar and All-County Lacrosse
- Member of: National Honor Society, Habitat for Humanity, Beta Club, Student Government, DECA and FBLA
- Volunteers for: Summer lacrosse coach
Etowah HS, Meghan Hines
- Recipient of: Academic Letter, Superintendent’s Key Scholar Award, SGA Student of the Month and National Spanish Exam Bronze Award
- Member of: Student Government (Student Body President, Senior Class President, Junior Class President, Sophomore Class Treasurer and Freshman Class Secretary) Beta Club, Mu Alpha Theta, Nation English Honor Society, National Honor Society, Flight Club and Competitive Dance
- Volunteers for: Church mission trips and ministry, Shop with an Eagle, SGA Elementary Reading Program
River Ridge HS, Jordan Mason
- Recipient of: Superintendent’s Key Scholar Award, Presidential Community Service Award and Physical Fitness and Health Award
- Member of: National Honor Society, Teen Leadership Cherokee Class of 2015, Student Government (2017 Vice President), Knights of the Round Table, Beta Club, Metro Atlanta Regional Commission and Chick-fil-a Leadership Program
- Volunteers for: Big/Little High School Mentorship Program Coordinator and Crusading Knights Service Club
Sequoyah HS, Isabelle Riddle
- Recipient of: AP Scholar with Distinction, PSAT Academic Achievement Award, Academic Letter, Ayn Rand Institute Essay Contest – Second Place, Quest Bridge College Prep Scholar, One National Dance Competition – Second Place Overall, Teen Leadership Cherokee Most Outstanding Leader Award, Grant Recipient for “Doggie Dash” Service Project and PTA Reflections Contest State Winner
- Member of: National Honor Society President, Student Government (Treasurer), Beta Club (Honorary Member), Fellowship of Christian Athletes Leadership Council, Model Atlanta Regional Commission
- Volunteers for: H.F.D.A Gives Back (service club founder) and MUST Ministries (Summer Lunch Coordinator)
Woodstock HS, Kayla Brader
- Recipient of: Academic Letter, Gold Medal, National Spanish Exam – Silver Medal and Certificate, WHS PTSA Essay Scholarship 2015-16 Winner, Governor’s Honors Program Nominee and Varsity Letter in Track
- Member of: Wolverine Marching Band, National Honors Society, Science National Honor Society, Beta Club, Model United Nations, Women in Science and Engineering (President), Spanish National Honors Society (Past President) and Youth Community Board at Transfiguration Catholic Church
- Volunteers for: Domestic violence shelter and Transfiguration Catholic Church