CCSD Media Specialist of the Year Named Regional Winner!

RICE Jennifer

Cherokee County School District’s 2016 Media Specialist of the Year has been named the Regional winner!

Macedonia Elementary School Media Specialist Jennifer Rice in March was surprised with the CCSD award, and this week was named the Regional winner for North Central Georgia by the Georgia Library Media Association and Georgia Association of Instructional Technology!  She now will be considered for the statewide Georgia Library Media Specialist of the Year award to be announced in November.

“This award confirms what we in CCSD already know: Jennifer Rice is an extraordinary media specialist and talented educator, as well as a passionate advocate for her profession,” Superintendent of Schools Dr. Brian V. Hightower said, noting this is the second consecutive year a CCSD media specialist has won the Regional title.  “Congratulations to Jennifer and the Macedonia Elementary School community for this outstanding recognition!”

Winners are selected based on the following criteria:

• Leadership role through staff development, committee involvement, or professional advocacy;
  • Involvement in professional organizations;
  • Promotion of information technology utilization and literacy;
  • Promotion of reading and literature;
  • Involving parents and/or the community in the library media program as partners;
  • Working collaboratively with the educators in your building;
  • Innovative techniques used in your library media program; and,
  • Deliberate and ongoing professional development as a learner which is relevant to media services.

Ms. Rice and other Regional winners will be recognized at the Georgia Educational Technology Conference this fall, at which the State winner will be named.  Regional winners will receive plaques and $50 awards; the State winner will receive a $200 award.

A graduate of Georgia College & State University, where she earned bachelor’s, master’s and specialist degrees in education, Ms. Rice began her career as a classroom teacher before following her true calling to serve as a media specialist.  In addition to her traditional media specialist responsibilities, she also organizes the school’s reading bowl team, spelling bee and student news team.  Ms. Rice recently was named to the Georgia Children’s Picturebook Award Committee for a three-year appointment.