Category : Board Briefs
The Cherokee County School Board met for a called meeting on Thursday, Sept. 17, 2015 to approve the process for seeking the next Superintendent of Schools.
The Board unanimously approved the process to advertise the vacancy and review applications; Board Member Rick Steiner was not present.
The vote authorized the School Board Attorney’s office to facilitate the advertising of the vacancy and collection of applications for review by the Board.
The advertising notice and brochure have been posted on the home page of the CCSD website at www.cherokee.k12.ga.us; the notice and brochure direct applicants to contact the School Board Attorney’s office for the official application. The notice will be placed on the Georgia School Boards Association website and will be advertised twice in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Official applications and supporting materials (formal letter of application; current resume; transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate-level education; reference letters) are due to the School Board Attorney’s Office by midnight on Monday, October 19, 2015.
The Board will subsequently screen applications and supporting materials and determine which applicants will be interviewed.
During the meeting, Board Vice Chair Patsy Jordan suggested that all Board members weigh in on which applicants should be interviewed, as opposed to the original proposal that a committee of Board members take on this task. The Board unanimously accepted this as an amendment, and then approved the amended agenda item.
“I have faith in this process,” Board Chair Kyla Cromer said after the votes. “We are going to take the confidentiality (of the process) very seriously. We welcome all applications.”
The Board at a prior work session determined, based on the qualifications it’s seeking in a Superintendent and the competency of the Superintendent’s senior staff members who may apply, that there was no need to hire a search firm.
Board members at that work session outlined qualifications they’re seeking in a Superintendent, which they will use when reviewing applications and making their hiring decision.
• Strong educational leader, advocate locally and statewide and spokesperson for public education, who has a knowledge of the local and Georgia political landscape;
• Commitment to a comprehensive education for all students and an understanding of our community and its diversity;
• Successful classroom teaching and school system superintendent or senior staff-level administrative experience;
• Proven record in school operations including with a system(s) that has faced significant enrollment growth, construction of new schools and redistricting;
• Strong management and communication skills;
• Desire to build upon CCSD’s strong foundation, execute existing Board Policies, Strategic Plans and the Strategic Waiver School Systems contract, while also sharing the Board’s vision for the District’s future successes;
• Current or future residency in Cherokee County; and,
• Doctorate degree in education is preferred.
Next School Board meeting: 7 p.m. October 15, 2015